Thursday, December 3, 2009

A life worth living...

Life happens so fast… Sometimes when I watch home videos, or look at old pictures, I almost cry, because those times are gone, never to come again. Not that they were the best times of my life, but whether they were good times or bad times, they are never coming back. It seems like only a short time ago that I went to my first Family Camp… I was 12 years old… and now I’m 16… and some of the friends that I met at that campmeeting are now over 20, and some of them are married, and they were 16, 17, 18, when we met… So my conclusion is that it’s only a short time until I reach that age… And from what older people (please forgive me for calling you older, but I mean older than me) have told me, the older you get, the faster time flies. It’s like a dream… it drags by while you’re in it, but it’s over in a flash. And then that’s it. There’s no more on this earth. If you don’t have anything to look forward to, past the grave, then there is absolutely nothing.

No wonder some people choose to end their own lives. They don’t have anything to look forward to beyond this life – which is gone so soon anyway. And so they decide that life just isn’t worth living anymore, and they decide to stop living it.

I heard about one man, that after he died (in his 90s), only 15 people came to his funeral. His wife, who was still alive, didn’t come – nor his daughter. Apparently he didn’t make the world any better for having lived in it, and no one appreciated him after he died. They didn’t have any reason to.

Now consider this…

There is something to look forward to, beyond this life… There’s a light beyond the darkness, a crown beyond the grave… reward, for those who stop to count the cost…

There is more to life than the endless round of duties, activities, fun, duties, activities, fun, and more of the same… There is more to life than doing what you enjoy… more than practicing music and video editing… more than spending time with my friends… more than going to Family Camp and GYC… more than school assignments…

There is something that makes life worth living… a life of service for God and your fellow man… a life of peace, even through hardship… a life of looking forward to the time when there will be no more sin, no more separation, and no more sadness… a life in the light of God’s presence…

And if you don’t have that, then there is absolutely nothing that will fill your heart’s need, nothing that will make life worth living…

Oh Lord, help me to always live in the light of Your presence… to surrender myself unreservedly to your Infinite wisdom. Because I’ve proven I can’t handle life myself… But You have promised never to leave or forsake me… I claim your promise…

No comments:

Post a Comment