Friday, January 8, 2010

The real GYC

GYC was a huge blessing. Anyone who was there would agree with that statement.

GYC stands for the Generation of Youth for Christ. It’s not just a conference where we can go to spend time with our friends, although networking with other young people is certainly a valuable part of it.

The real Generation of Youth for Christ is the group of young people that go home from GYC and make a difference in the lives of those with whom they come in contact. It has nothing to do with the convention. The convention is only there as a way to train young people to be prepared to do the work that God calls them to.

If I go to GYC, and spend time with all of my friends, and listen to the messages, and come forward at all the appeals, and know all of the right people, and even go on outreach… all of which are good things… and then I go home and live exactly the way I lived before GYC, then my trip to GYC was just a waste of money. If it doesn’t make a difference in the way I relate to others, to my family and friends, or cause me to reach out to others to show them God’s love, then it has been a failure.

At GYC, on Sabbath evening, Pastor Asscherick had a powerful sermon, “Unashamed of the Coming Christ.” I was sitting on the front row, in a group of some of my close friends. The message really inspired me to make a commitment that my life from this point on would never be the same. Never again will I be ashamed of Christ. Though He was crucified, and the world thought they would never hear His name again, He is my Redeemer and Savior. He’s coming soon, and I have purposed in my heart that I will, by God’s grace, be ready to meet Him. Time is running out, and the longer we wait to get ready, the harder it will be.

My dear friends made the same commitment that night. Pastor Asscherick called for all those who were willing to make a public commitment to come to the front. We all went forward. Two young musicians shared a beautiful song, “Hands to the Plow.” I can’t remember all the words, but the main point of the song was that there is work that needs to be done, so why are we waiting? There are many souls perishing, and they need someone to come and show them the way to Heaven, but we say, “Lord, send someone else…” Maybe He’s calling you

I will never forget that night. It was such a powerful time. I don’t think that anyone else there, especially those at the very front, will ever forget it either. After the appeal song, we all sang, “I have Decided to Follow Jesus.” We were all crying (at least quite a few of us were crying, including myself) and afterwards we all encouraged one another to be faithful to our commitment. My life will never be the same. From now on, I will go where God wants me to go, say what He wants me to say, and do what He wants me to do… even if I don’t understand why… even if the world thinks I’m a fool… That’s my commitment. I want to thank those closest to me that night for encouraging me, by words, actions, and example… but most of all God, for leading me to that commitment…

Now… I’m back to normal life. School, music practice, video production, chores around the house…

This is the real Generation of Youth for Christ… the generation that lives for Christ in their personal lives… not just at the conference.

That’s my commitment…

May I ever be faithful to my dear Savior and Friend…

No comments:

Post a Comment