Monday, September 14, 2009

Some thoughts I had this morning...

I am coming to the realization that there’s a lot of benefit to getting out of my comfort zone. Especially to improve my relationship with Matthew.

It’s worth it…

- to take the time to play store with my brother when I have more “important” things that I “should” be doing…

- to go tromp around in the mud and weeds so that he can have a good time when I’d rather be sitting inside working on my computer… even if I end up with poison ivy and ticks so that I’m itchy all over for a week…

- to give up an hour of free time in order to do something for him, rather than selfishly hold on to every minute that I’m allowed to do something I want to do…

- to take up the cross, and follow Christ…

Why would I do anything else?

Because I don’t feel like it.

Can that be changed?

Most certainly! Jesus has provided a way. He has promised, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.”

So it boils down to a simple choice. When I choose His grace, then He can do amazing things in me… in my attitude, in my thoughts, in my actions… When I choose my own way, I have no power to change those things. Instead, I end up being forced by what I know to be right to do things for Matthew, and no wonder he doesn’t enjoy that time with me. Would I enjoy it if he did something with me just because he had to, because I’m his brother? Of course not!

So I am faced with a choice. Is it a choice of whether I should take time for my brother today? Or is it a choice of whether to accept God’s perfect grace, and His will for my life, relationships with family, friends, and everything else? The second…

From Nature Photos


So which will I choose? That remains to be seen. But I know from past experience that I will be MUCH happier if I choose the second. I don’t know what’s going to happen today. What I do know is that I’ll be confronted with many opportunities to choose.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great to have a family that loves you enough to cross your will? :)

    ReplyDelete